If you suffer from osteoarthritis, you should seek osteoarthritis treatment Baltimore, MD residents trust. Osteoarthritis doesn’t have to rule your life forever. With the proper treatment, you can live a normal life again.
What Is Osteoarthritis?
When a person is diagnosed with osteoarthritis, it means that the cartilage at the ends of the bones of the affected area has worn down. The wearing down of this flexible tissue occurs gradually, often with aging, and becomes worse over time. With the cartilage gone, this leaves the area with “bone on bone” and that is where the problems begin.
Areas commonly affected include the neck, lower back, hands, hips, and knees. The most common symptom is joint pain.
Treatments for Osteoarthritis
One of the most significant and non-invasive osteoarthritis treatments in Baltimore, MD is physical therapy. Movement is key, even if that movement is painful at first, however it is important to remember that the more you move, the less pain and stiffness you will have. Physical therapists are movement experts so what better place to come to alleviate your symptoms than LeMoine Physical Therapy.
Multiple studies have shown that physical therapy benefits osteoarthritis patients by:
- Maintaining or increasing the range of motion of the joint
- Strengthen the muscles that surround and support the affected joint
- Adjust the patient’s posture
- Improve the patient’s balance
- Instruct the patient in the use of any needed assisted devices (i.e. canes and walkers)
A physical therapist can also suggest modifications to the patient’s home or work environment that can help with symptoms, such as the use of a cushioned mat in the patient’s kitchen or ergonomic chair at their work.
In addition, the physical therapist may have other treatment option suggestions, including hot and cold therapy, shoe inserts to help with stress on the legs and feet, or braces and splints to help support affected joints.
There are other types of treatments that have been shown to complement the treatment provided by a physical therapist and help ease the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis, including:
- Therapeutic massage – Studies show that therapeutic massage can help reduce muscle tension and improve circulation.
- Acupuncture – Many patients have also had success with acupuncture.
- Turmeric supplement – One of the chemical components in turmeric – curcumin – has been shown to help ease the inflammation and pain of arthritis in multiple studies.
- Cannabidiol (CBD) – Products containing CBD also help reduce pain, inflammation, and anxiety that many osteoarthritis patients suffer with. CBD products do not contain the active ingredient in marijuana that produces the “high” feeling. Many patients find relief in topical creams and gels that they apply to painful joints.
Osteoarthritis is a joint condition that occurs when the cartilage in your joints breaks down and causes your bones to rub together. Common symptoms of the condition include:
- Pain: With osteoarthritis, you may feel pain in certain joints, like the ones in your hands, fingertips, hips or knees. The pain may increase when you’re doing certain activities, like walking, running or lifting items.
- Swelling: Osteoarthritis can also increase fluid in your joints, which can lead to swelling.
- Reduced Range of Motion: Osteoarthritis can cause joint stiffness, which may reduce your range of motion. As a result, you may have trouble moving around and completing tasks that once came easy.
Osteoarthritis can make day-to-day life more difficult. Luckily, there have been many advancements in osteoarthritis treatment in Baltimore, MD. Here are a few options you may consider:
- Physical Therapy: During physical therapy in Baltimore, MD, a therapist will have you perform various exercises to strengthen and increase the flexibility in your joints. This can ultimately reduce your pain and make it easier to perform activities.
- Occupational Therapy: In occupational therapy, you can learn ways to complete normal tasks without putting stress on your joints. For instance, if you suffer from knee osteoarthritis, your therapist may recommend putting a bench in your shower to alleviate the pain of standing.
- Weight Loss: Excess weight can put stress on your joints. If you lose even a few pounds by reducing your caloric intake, you could improve your condition.
- Heat and Cold: Both hot and cold therapy can help relieve pain and stiffness in your joints. If you apply a hot or cold compress to your joint several times a day, you may feel better.
- Eat Anti-Inflammatory Foods: What you eat may also have an impact on your osteoarthritis symptoms. If you include anti-inflammatory foods, such as fatty fish, berries and avocados, you could see an improvement in your condition.
- Adequate Rest: If you suffer from osteoarthritis, it’s even more important for you to get at least eight hours of sleep a night. Your joints will get proper rest and may not hurt as much. Avoid caffeine and alcohol in the evening so that it’s easier to fall asleep.
Schedule osteoarthritis treatment in Baltimore, MD today.
Benefits of Osteoarthritis Treatment
There are countless benefits to osteoarthritis treatment Baltimore, MD patients may not be aware of and want to consider because they could be available to you. If you are suffering from an ailment that therapy or osteoarthritis treatment can help with, then there is no need to wait to start your journey toward healing, recovery, and a full life. Contact us at LeMoine Physical Therapy to discuss your treatment options, ask questions you have, and schedule your initial appointment. We are eager to speak with you and get to know you and your treatment needs.
- No Side Effects
Natural healing like Baltimore osteoarthritis treatment will have little to no side effects, so there is little to worry about and not much, if any, reason not to go ahead and give it a try. Unlike other treatments, you won’t have to worry about this treatment causing other problems even if it does fix your main problem. Many other treatments can cause other issues that you will then have to seek treatment for and it can be never-ending.
- Improve Circulation
Blood is, in essence, the life of the body and keeps it running and functioning effectively. Osteoarthritis therapy can help improve your circulation which can have compounding benefits that you may not even be aware of. When your blood is circulating as it should be that can be many benefits and it can be an aid in your healing process leading to further health as it supports the body.
- Decrease Pain
One of the most common reasons that a person seeks osteoarthritis treatment is to reduce or eliminate pain. The root cause of the pain may affect how your therapist approaches the pain relief treatment. Pain may be caused from arthritis, an injury, nerve issues, muscle imbalance, and more. No matter the cause of your pain, your therapist will work closely with you to determine the cause and correct the root problem in order to support your body in doing its natural functions to support itself.
- Increased Mobility
If you’re suffering from a decrease in mobility, whether from arthritis, pain, tendon or nerve issues, misalignment, muscle pain, or another issue, you may benefit from osteoarthritis therapy. Your therapist will work with you to set goals for increased mobility and create a treatment plan to reach those goals. It will require time and a commitment for you to follow the treatment plan, but the reward will be well worth the work. Depending on your health issue and previous mobility, you may see large improvement in your overall mobility and have the opportunity to restore your mobility.
Call Our Office Today
There is no need to wait to give us a call at LeMoine Physical Therapy. We will be happy to take your call and answer any questions that you have about treatment options. Schedule your initial appointment where you will have an evaluation and review your medical history with your therapist. Contact us today to take the first step on your healing journey and schedule your appointment!